For most e-commerce businesses, shipping is one of the most important aspects of the business. Shipping involves a lot more than just getting your product from point A to point B. It can be a challenge for most e-business retailers, which is why we have created this guide to e-commerce shipping and logistics.
Start With a Plan
You’ll need to start by developing a plan. Every business is different. So, there is no cookie cutter shipping strategy that works for all. There are a lot of variables that you’ll need to consider when choosing a strategy. The answers to these questions will help you choose the right strategy.
- Where will your products be shipped from and to? – If you are shipping internationally, you’ll want to choose a shipping partner with experience in international shipping and logistics.
- What are the product restrictions and regulations? – If you will be shipping hazardous or dangerous goods, then you might have to follow certain regulations.
- Will you sell high-value products? – This will help determine what kind of insurance and tracking that you might need.
- Do you anticipate a high volume of orders? – If so, then you’ll likely need to work with a 3rd party to manage shipping.
- What pricing strategy will you use? Decide how you will charge your customers. Will you offer free shipping? Offering free shipping with a minimum purchase is usually very cost-effective for e-commerce stores.
Set Yourself Apart With Packaging
When selecting packaging for your products, you’ll want to make sure that it fits with your brand. In the past, packaging was simply a way to protect a product as it shipped from one place to another. This is no longer the case. Now, customers expect the packaging to be part of the overall shopping experience. Try to think about how you can set yourself apart and impress your customer.
Choose the Right Partner
You’re swamped with orders, you have a plan in place to fulfill them and have the merchandise in stock ready to ship. So, what could go wrong? A lot -— if you choose the wrong shipping and logistics partner. You want an affordable and reliable partner that is experienced at shipping the type of products that you sell.